It was Hubert de Givenchy who said “The luxury is in the details”, but this simple phrase can be applied to so much more than the world of haute couture. When it comes to luxury living in the world of interiors, luxury is more than a feeling…it’s the little things we add that lend an indescribable air of indulgence to a home.
One good dictionary definition of luxury is “conducive to sumptuous living…usually a delicacy or refinement rather than a necessity.” It’s easy to argue, though, that modern living demands some amount of luxury almost as a necessity. Anyone who has ever experienced the touch, smell, feel and sight of true luxury – even in its simplest form – can almost never go back to living with only the bare essentials.
True luxury should be an experience for all the senses, making the beholder feel special. It’s no wonder that luxury homes everywhere pay extraordinary attention to the finest detail in order to make their occupants feel that they are getting the very best – and, by extension, that they are themselves the very best!
Big ways to add luxury to your home
Luxury homes, whether they’re mansion-sized or not, offer owners and their families the ultimate living experience. Whether you’re buying an already-upscale home or contemplating a major reno based on the latest luxury home trends, here are some macro details to take into account:
- Cutting edge smart technology: this goes way beyond clappers. We’re talking about network-connected security systems, lighting, appliances, temperature control and much more that can be controlled remotely and entirely automated…because convenience is an important aspect of luxury living.
- Spa bathroom: incorporate not only a shower stall separate from the whirlpool soaker, but a private steam room/dry sauna and nice luxury details like a touch-screen TV.
- Chef’s kitchen: besides top of line appliances, you definitely want an optimized layout and restaurant-quality details, like heating drawers, a prep island and double ovens.
- Design/build extras: luxury homes should have luxury craftsmanship; look for (or custom order) architectural features like art nooks, vaulted ceilings and archways.
- Custom wine cellar featuring high end wine racking and finishes
Small ways to add luxury to your home
When we think of luxury, we often think of tactile experiences: how does it feel to touch velvet, see the sunlight glint off pure metals, feel a silk rug underfoot? When it comes to luxury living, the smallest details can make all the difference:
- Sculptured brass handles and door knobs: splurging on designer fixtures can add a disproportionately immense amount of luxury to any room
- Fresh flowers: so much more than scent and beauty, fresh flowers and greenery provide a connection to nature and, by definition, are luxurious, since they are far from a necessity
- Spa accessories: don’t have a separate shower stall? Who cares, when you can buy a European shower head and water filter combo that turns an ordinary shower into a spa experience with directed jets of filtered water for softer skin and hair?
- Cloth napkins: even if you’re still doing your own cooking, using gorgeous linens is a luxurious detail your guests will appreciate, too.
At Cable Wine Systems, we specialize in luxury wine racking that looks amazing and functions beautifully, whether deployed in your private wine cellar or simply on a wall. It’s the best way to display your bottles while layering more luxury to your home.